My Morning Power Hour

I first heard the term "Power Hour" from one of my business coaches, Andy Shepherd.  (If you haven't heard of him, check out the interview I recently did with him here!).  Andy said this daily ritual helped him achieve massive success in his business.  I took his advice and added a "Power Hour" to my day as well.  And you know, it did make a difference.  And not just in my business.  I think it helped with all of my goals - including my weight loss goal.


Now I can already here you screaming.  I know, I know!  You're spending more time on meal prep instead of fast food and junk food.  You've added exercise to your schedule.  Where are you going to squeeze another hour into your day - "Power" or otherwise?!


Well, first it doesn't have to be an exact hour.  Andy said his was an hour but mine was more like a Power 30 Minutes.  And it doesn't have to be every day.  I skip Tuesday and Saturday.  Tuesday because I have so much scheduled I don't even have an extra 30 minutes.  Saturday because I do this ritual first thing in the morning and Saturday is my one day to sleep in.  And I'm not giving that up.  Not even for the Power Hour!


Second, if you do this ritual regularly, you will be surprised at the results.  You will find more time, more energy, more focus - in short, 30 minutes 5 times a week won't be a struggle. 


So what is this magical ritual?  Preparing your mind and spirit for the day ahead.  For me it consists of prayer, meditation, and education.  You can use whatever activities best suit you.  There are only a couple of requirements for every one, no matter what you are doing.


1.  No phones, computers, televisions, or technology of any kind.
2.  This is ALONE time.  ME time.  This is not family time.
3.  Have a plan for what you are going to do each day.


As I stated, I use this time for prayer, meditation, and education. 


For my first 10 - 15 minutes, I read Scripture and practice devotions.  My connection to God is extremely important to me and starting my day asking for guidance and blessing helps me face whatever challenges lie ahead.


Then I spend 10 -15 minutes in meditation.  I may focus on something I read in Scripture.  Or I may focus on something that has been a challenge for me.  Whatever it is, I spend 10 -15 minutes focus my thoughts on it and seeing where my mind will lead me.  Often it leads me to an answer I've been seeking.


I spend the last 10 -15 minutes reading.  It may be a chapter in a book.  Or an article. Or an email from a list I'm on.  It might be educational or it might be more inspirational.


And that's it.  Every day. 


So how does this help me lose weight?  Well it probably doesn't directly.  But it does help set the tone for the rest of my day.  When I do this consistently, I am less stressed.  And when I am less stressed, I make better decisions - like what to eat.  I have more energy - for exercise.  I am more focused - which means I am more productive which means I have more time - for meal prep and exercise.  Or for my Power Hour. 


So while I may not be burning hundreds of calories, building muscle, and working up a sweat, I am more focused on the things that are important in my life - like my health.


What activities might you include in your Power Hour? 

Comments

Popular Posts