Losing Weight and Loving It!

Welcome to my new blog!


For those of you who don't already know me from my other blogs, my name is Melodieann.


I'm sure you're thinking "Oh no...not another weight loss 'expert' telling us how we need to change our lives so we can be skinny."  Well, I hate to disappoint you but - NOPE!  I'm not an expert.  In fact, I'm still struggling with my own weight.


I am not going to tell you that I've struggled with my weight all my life, because that's not true either.  In fact, when I was young, I struggled to gain weight.  I still remember my mom and grandma making "health" shakes for me so I would put on a few pounds.  And then in college and the Navy - well you can guess that kept me active enough that I didn't worry about gaining weight.  I weighed a whopping 118 lbs when I came home after boot camp!


I didn't start having a weight problem until after my battle with cancer.  Yes, I won that fight.  But the surgery and treatment combined with the natural slowdown of metabolism as we age and before you know it, I was fat.  Not just a little bit heavy.  I mean FAT!!!  263 lbs fat to be exact! 


To make matters worse, I had no knowledge of healthy eating habits. I had always eaten whatever I wanted.


And exercise?  Well it's never been my favorite thing!  I enjoy outdoor activities.  And I did start running in the Navy.  But those things were always done in a group which made them fun.  When I first moved to NWA, the fitness craze hadn't hit here yet.  People did run "just because."  And I just didn't have the motivation to do it myself.  So when the alarm went off it was just easier to hit SNOOZE and promise myself I would start tomorrow.  But tomorrow never came.


So what do you do when you are 263 lbs?  That's 120 lbs over my recommended weight.  Well, you try everything.  Since I had no idea of how to go about weight loss, I listened to every weight loss "guru" out there and tried everything they recommended.  Much of it didn't work.  Some did...until you stopped buying the prepackaged meals, or diet drinks, or pills they were pushing.  Then all the weight came right back - with a few extra pounds for good measure!  I finally just gave up, feeling I was destined to be fat the rest of my life.  My aunts had been heavy.  I came from "good Slavic stock" as my dad liked to stay.  It must be genetic.  Why fight it when you can't win?


Then one day I saw the thing that would change my mind.  I was working for the Girl Scouts at the time and we were starting a new program.  I was being interviewed for a news feature that would run on TV.  The photographer came to film us as I was working with some of the girls.  Cool!  I couldn't wait to see myself on television.  Well what I saw horrified me.  I was HUGE!!!  I had been teaching the girls the Hula which I had learned while stationed in Hawaii.  At the time I felt graceful and elegant.  What I saw was something different entirely.  And then I thought about the example I was setting for these girls as I was trying to teach them about healthy habits - like dancing for exercise.  And that's when I knew I had to get my weight under control, no matter what.


So this is where weight loss gets real.  I am not an expert on nutrition, health or fitness.  I am still not an exercise junkie.  But I have learned a lot.  Most important, I have lost 60 lbs - and kept it off. 


But I have another 60 to go.  And I admit, it's getting harder.  And so I decided to start this blog.  Why?


To share REAL-LIFE tips on how to improve your life with a healthy diet, exercise, and other changes.  Things that have worked for me.  Things that will work for other busy women - and men - who are trying to juggle a business, a family, a job, or other commitments.  Things that aren't going to cost a small fortune.  Things that you can maintain indefinitely.  Lifestyle changes.  Not temporary programs.


To share the things that DON'T WORK.  Things that can be downright harmful to you.  Yes, there are still lots of weight loss myths out there. 


To share the things that didn't work for me, but still might have some value for you.  I'm not afraid to share my failures if it will help someone else reach their goal.


To hold myself accountable.  Yes, I've lost 60 lbs.  But only 60.  I've fallen off the wagon lately.  I've been busy.  My husband and I have been traveling more.  Healthy eating habits have kind of fallen by the wayside.  Exercise is once again something other people do.  But if I have to check in here regularly, it will help keep me motivated and on track.  Otherwise I'm going to have to explain why I just couldn't do this.  And that's not going to happen!


Ready to join me on my weight loss journey?  If I can do this, so can you.  I hope you will find something in here that will help you.  And if you have a tip to share that has worked for you, please feel free!  I look forward to your comments.







Comments

Popular Posts